Call us toll free 0800 1800 900
7 Day Lodge-Based Multi-Sport Sampler
Length: 7 Days
Difficulty: Medium - adventurous people in good condition
Dates: Custom Dates Only
Price: $Email or Call, Two Person Minimum
7 Day Lodge Based Multi-Sport Sampler
3 days of sea kayaking and day hiking while staying at the Prince William Sound Wilderness Lodge. Van, raft and fly your way inland to McCarthy and Kennecott in the heart of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, where we spend 3 days hiking the trails and ice of Wrangell St. Elias National Park. All this while sleeping in a bed at night!
- Sea kayaking
- Glacier Hikes
- Ice Climbing
- Flights as listed
- Meals listed in itinerary
- Kayak equipment
- Ice climbing and glacier hiking equipment
- Lodging as listed in itinerary
- Guide services
- Van transport
- Motor boat transport
- Park fees
- 7-days, 6-nights
- Easy - Moderate
A multi-sport adventure perfect for a sampling of Alaska's best with a touch of comfort. Experience the rustic Prince William Sound Lodge for warm beds, showers, a sauna and great meals. Then base out of an historic lodge in McCarthy/Kennecott in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, from where we'll spider out into different directions each day to enjoy an array of fun activities. A variation of our popular 8 day multi-sport camping trip with all of the comforts of home.
We recommend arriving in Valdez to account for any potential travel delays, to meet your guide, do a gear shakedown, and go over any last second concerns.
- Day 1 - Meet at the shop for pre-tour instruction. Load the gear onto our motor boat for a water taxi ride out to the Columbia Glacier area for the day. Enjoy paddling among the icebergs and with the fabulous wildlife. We get taken by motorboat to the lodge for the first evening. (Lunch) ( Dinner)
- Day 2 - Explore the area around Prince William Sound lodge. We usually spend part of the day paddling out to Bligh Island or up Tatitlek Narrows and then spend the afternoon hiking through the historic Ellamar trails. More great food and a relaxing atmosphere highlight the day. (Breakfast) (Lunch) (Dinner)
- Day 3 - An early start to the day begins with a hot breakfast before packing the kayaks. We spend the day paddling the coastline between the lodge and Galena Bay. This is a great active day with a goal to cover some miles. The boat will pick us up around 4:30 p.m. for the ride to Valdez. Spend the evening in Valdez at a local B&B or Hotel. (Breakfast) (Lunch) (Dinner on your own in Valdez)
- Day 4 - Drive inland to Chitina for a flight-see to McCarthy/Kennicott in the heart of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. Raft the Keystone Canyon and do a half-day Worthington Glacier hike en route to Chitina, then catch the late day flight into Wrangell St. Elias National Park. Spend the night at the comfy, historic, and perfectly-perched Kennicott Glacier Lodge. (Breakfast) (Lunch) (Dinner)
- Day 5 - Take the am Historical Town Tour with our friends the St. Elias Alpine Guides, and then in the afternoon hike up above tree line to the old Bonanza Mine site for vast views. On a clear day Mt. Blackburn dominates the head of the Kennicott Glacier Valley, and the eastern tail of the Chugach loom to the south. Enjoy another evening at the lodge. (Breakfast) (Lunch) (Dinner)
- Day 6 - Go for a full day of ice-climbing on the Root Glacier. You don’t need any prior experience for this, and it is also a great exploration of the area. A must-do! Spend your final night at the KGL.(Breakfast) (Lunch) (Dinner)
- Day 7 - Milk your final day in the park, and explore the old townsite of McCarthy before flying, mid-day, back to Chitina and then vanning back to Valdez. We end the trip in Valdez around 5:00 p.m. (Breakfast) (Lunch)
We suggest planning to stay the last night in Valdez. The tour includes a three day sea kayak tour, whitewater rafting, a van shuttle to and from Chitina, a bush plane flight from Chitina to McCarthy and back, a day of ice climbing, an historical town tour, 3 days of guided hikes and all meals while on tour except dinner on night 3 in Valdez. 1 night at local lodging in Valdez, 2 nights at Prince William Sound Lodge, and 3 nights at a lodge in Kennecott.