Beginner - anyone excited for Alaskan wilderness!
Custom Dates Only, June - September
$2588pp, Two Person Minimum
Wrangell-Saint Elias National Park
5 Day Iceberg Lake Fly-In Base Camp: Wrangell-St. Elias National Park Alaska
An Alaska wilderness basecamp adorned with glaciers, high peaks, lakes and tundra.
Enjoy National Park camping, panoramic views and amazing day hikes. The scenic flight in is a treat in itself.
- -Scenic Flights
- -Guided Hiking
- -Meals Listed in Itinerary
- -Group camping gear
- -Tents & Sleeping Kit
- -Guide Services
- -Van Shuttle
- -Bush Plane Flights
- -Park Fees
5 Day Iceberg Lake Fly-In Base Camp - Sample Itinerary
Backpack Wrangell-St. Elias National Park -
For small groups, families and private trips!
A couple scenic bush flights bring us from Chitina to McCarthy, and then on up the Tana River Valley to land near Iceberg Lake. Adorned with glaciers, high peaks, and tundra, this area offers endless views and day hike opportunities. From camp we spend each day hiking in various directions along the tundra or up onto the alpine ridges. A great family experience.
- Day 1- Meet in Valdez. We suggest getting to town the day before departure. We spend an hour or so reviewing gear and packing the backpacks. We then drive north to Chitina (2 hrs) where we catch a small plane flight to the ghost town of McCarthy to catch our next flight deeper into the park. After being dropped off by the bush plane, we take a short hike to set up base camp.
- Day 2-4 -For 3 days we will branch out into different directions to explore the region. We can hike out toward the massive Tana Glacier along the Iceberg Lake bed.
- Heading north, we can scamper onto a nearby glacier and have the chance to explore the ice with crampons. We can also hike up the ridge through fields of wildflowers and glacial erratics.
- Motivated groups can venture even higher up to bag a peak. The views are amazing!
- Day 5- We will have a relaxing morning and a chance to pack up before the plane picks up the group. We often fly out 2-3 at a time. Upon returning to McCarthy we may have time to explore town before catching the next flight to Chitina and then taking the pretty drive back to Valdez.
This itinerary is designed for groups or families that are not looking to carry a heavy backpack for miles at a time, but would still like to get into the backcountry to experience Alaska's wild lands. We get out on day hikes that offer beauty and a sense of remoteness similar to what you may find on any major backpacking expedition.
What Our Clients Say