Medium - adventurous people in good condition
Custom Dates Only, June - September
$2233pp, Two Person Minimum
Wrangell-Saint Elias National Park
4 Day Skolai Pass Fly-in Base Camp: Wrangell St. Elias National Park, Alaska
Hike the high tundra of Wrangell St. Elias National Park.
A classic Alaskan bush flight through some of the most rugged terrain imaginable to a high sweeping valley rimmed by impressive peaks and glaciers.
- -Scenic Flights
- -Scenic Drive
- -Day Hikes
- -Meals Listed in Itinerary
- -Group camping gear
- -Tents & Sleeping Kit
- -Guide Services
- -Bush Plane Flights
- -Van Transportation
- -Park Fees
4 Day Skolai Pass Fly-in Base Camp - Sample Itinerary
- Day 1 - Meet at our Valdez office shop for impressive van ride through Keystone Canyon, over Thompson Pass and into the rugged interior. The scenic two-hourdrive puts you in the remote town of Chitina on the western edge of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. From there you embark on a scenic flight into the heart of the park, to the old mining remnant of McCarthy. There we may have a bit of time to walk around town before taking another bushflight even deeper in to the park to the Skolai Pass landing strip. We hike a short distance away from the strip to set up camp, and then spend the rest of the day exploring up the Valley of the Seven Sisters. (Lunch) (Dinner)
- Day 2 - Hike up and over Chitistone Pass for sweeping views of Skolai Pass to the north and down the dramatic Chitistone River Drainage falling away to the south. This is one of the finest views in the park. (Breakfast) (Lunch) (Dinner)
- Day 3 - Head east from camp across Skolai Pass for an up-close and personal view of the giant Russell Glacier as it spills into the valley. You could potentially save your hike up the Valley of the 7 Sisters and the Hole In The Wall Glacier for this day. Or, you could opt to ramble westward through the moonscape of boulders and meadow up towards Mt. Fredericka and her cascading glacier. Options abound here, as your basecamp is the perfect location from which you can spider out into different directions! (Breakfast) (Lunch) (Dinner)
- Day 4 - Enjoy a relaxing morning and tasty breakfast before breaking camp and moving to the landing strip for a pickup and delightful flightsee back to McCarthy. From there, you have the option to head north to explore the fascinating old mining town of Kennecott before boarding your final flight back to Chitina for the victorious van ride back to Valdez. (Breakfast) (Lunch)
This itinerary was designed for groups or families that are not looking to carry a heavy backpack for miles at a time, but would still like to get into the back country to experience Alaska's wild lands. We get out on day hikes that are equal in beauty to any major backpacking expedition.